Why An Infographic Version?

The talented @edwinatyrrell has created an infographic version of the most popular post on this blog, How To Write TV Series Bibles. I love the “cartoony” feel of Edwina’s infographic here – I think it fits the “feel” of the information and style of the post really well.

TV Series Bibles are those documents that accompany your spec TV pilot when you send them out to a producer, agent, competition or similar. Usually 3-5 pages long, they’re an added opportunity to sell your idea ‘off the page’ and hook the reader. (By the way, TV series bibles actually really a type of treatment, but for whatever reason the term has caught on, online).

Originally written waaaaay back in 2009, this post has now received in excess of 120K+ visits!!! Amazing. Be sure to follow Edwina on Twitter and say hello!

More on B2W About TV Writing:

Don’t forget!

Spec TV Series Bibles and ones for commissioned shows can be VERY different beasts, plus some producers, agents etc may call Spec TV series bibles “treatments” or “extended pitches”. More details HERE.

How to Write TV Series Bibles (3)

12 Responses to How To Write TV Series Bibles – The Infographic!

1. Andrew says:

Oh, nice infographic! Thanks for sharing! 🙂

2. Scot B. says:

So fortunate to have found this infographic, but I’m still left with that all-important question: which font to use in a bible doc? Is Courier 12 appropriate here, or is Times New Roman more standard? thx!

There’s no specialised font you need in a bible doc, Scot – you can use whatever you want. Best to avoid the dreaded Comic Sans, however or any of those with serifs (“squiggly bits”). I tend to use Arial, it’s a nice clean font and a welcome change to Courier.

• Lynn Tarzwell says:

If I know which producer or broadcaster I want to pitch to, I check out their site and cop their font. Cheap psychological trick — but it works.

3. How would the format be different on a commissioned bible?

How long is a piece of string, really … A commissioned bible will act as a reference doc for the people making the show, so all kinds of stuff will be in it. In very long shows, they will be massive tomes! Apparently Coronation Street even has a show ‘historian’ to check various things for continuity purposes!

4. D says:

I’m a little unclear about the “Episode Synopsis” section. What exactly is the “story of the week” and “serial element”?

Thanks!

5. Phil Parker says:

Hey Lucy,

Great infographic. Do you know of a real-world example I could read and compare to the infographic to help me get my bearings?

Cheers

Phil

Hi, Phil. Yes there’s a list of links in the original post, which you can access HERE. Alternatively, if you want to read spec series bibles, why not do peer review with the other B2Wers in the Bang2writers Facebook Group? You can JOIN HERE.